Established more than 16 years as the most reliable address for properties in and around Benalmádena and Fuengirola

Energy Certificates

Energy certificates to be required in Spain!

It seems that the energy bills are getting higher every year. The EU tries to avoid this by stimulating an energy-efficient policy. In other words, they want to stimulate the eco-friendly housing market. After 1st June 2013 the Spanish government integrates this energy-efficient policy in their law, which means that every domestic property for sale or long term rent needs to have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) in Spain. In Spanish: Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE). Find some frequently asked questions with answers below.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate or "Certificado de Eficiencia Energética"?

An Energy Performance Certificate is a document that is drawn up by a certified assessor (mostly an architect or engineer). The certificate states how efficient flats and houses are in terms of energy use. This gives potential buyers or renters an idea of how energy-efficient the property is. New properties already have a EPC, but from the 1st of June the certificate is also required for older properties that don't have a EPC yet. This certificate presents the information graphically via a color-coded scale from A to G.

When do I need this certificate?

You need this certificate if you want to sell or rent out your house. From the 1st of June real estate agents are not aloud to sell or rent out houses without an Energy Performance Certificate. Any property advertised for sale or rent via an agent will need this certificate.

Who needs to request the certificate?

The owner of the property.

What is the duration of the certificate?

The certificate is valid for a period of ten years.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

This certificate gives potential buyers or renters the opportunity to make a choice between an energy-efficient house and a house that is not energy-efficient. That is why owners of a property are stimulated to make their house energy-efficient, as potential buyers and renters' first choice would be an energy-efficient house due to lower energy bills.

What if I ignore this requirement when selling or renting out my property?

The power of control is in hands of the autonomous community (Comunidad Autònoma) and they are able to give you a substantial fine.

What are the costs involved?

For a standard apartment or house it will cost around € 250 to € 350.

Of course our Office can take care of this certificate.